Occupy Wall Street Plans Global Disruption of Status Quo May 1
Occupy Wall Street demonstrators, whose anti-greed message spread worldwide during an eight-week encampment in Lower Manhattan last year, plan marches across the globe tomorrow calling attention to what they say are abuses of power and wealth.
Organizers say they hope the coordinated events will mark a spring resurgence of the movement after a quiet winter. Calls for a general strike with no work, no school, no banking and no shopping have sprung up on websites in Toronto, Barcelona, London, Kuala Lumpur and Sydney, among hundreds of cities in North America, Europe and Asia. More…
City of Sacramento hits new hurdle on Occupy protesters
The city of Sacramento has been dealt yet another setback in its attempt to penalize Occupy Sacramento protesters for curfew violations last year at Cesar Chavez Plaza across from City Hall.
First, it failed to get the District Attorney’s Office to file charges. Then, it pursued its own criminal charges against protesters. It later dismissed those counts and instead imposed administrative penalties against a select group of protesters.
On Friday, a Sacramento Superior Court judge ruled that a protester had the right to challenge the city’s administrative penalty in court.
“My real question is: Why is the city wasting so many resources prosecuting these cases that are so frivolous?” the protester’s attorney Patrick Soluri told The Bee on Sunday. “The district attorney refused to prosecute them at all.”
Soluri said the ruling, affirmed Friday by Superior Court Judge Michael Kenny, clears the way for his client, Kathryn Coke, to go to court May 18 to seek to have the administrative penalties dropped.
After the judge’s ruling Friday, Soluri wrote: “The essence of our legal challenge is that the city may not lawfully dismiss misdemeanor charges and then refile ‘administrative penalty’ claims for the same alleged conduct.” More…
In Spain, Protests By Tens Of Thousands Against Health, Education Cuts
MADRID — Tens of thousands of people across Spain protested Sunday against education and health care spending cuts as the country slid into its second recession in three years.
Unemployment is at a eurozone high of 24.4 percent, more than half of Spaniards under 25 years old are jobless, and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s conservative government has introduced stinging austerity measures in its first five months in office.
Speaking at a party rally, Rajoy, who on Friday announced a new set of tax hikes to come into effect next year, said he had “no alternative.” He added, “Spain needs deep structural change, not makeup.”
Protesters in northeastern Barcelona, northern Bilbao, eastern Valencia and many other regional capitals carried banners urging Rajoy to not “mess around with health and education.” More…
Showdown in Cairo
CAIRO, April 29, (AFP): One person was killed and 119 people were injured in overnight clashes between Salafist protesters and residents of a Cairo neighbourhood, the Egyptian health ministry said on Sunday.
Dozens of supporters of Hazem Abu Ismail marched on Saturday night towards the Abbassiya district to protest against the electoral commission’s decision to bar the popular hardline Islamist from contesting next month’s presidential election.
They were attacked by Abbassiya residents angry at the protesters, according to the official MENA news agency.
The clashes lasted until dawn, with both sides throwing rocks and petrol bombs and firing buckshot, a member of the security forces said.
Military police stationed in front of the nearby defence ministry did not intervene.
The health ministry said one person was killed and 119 injured, most of them lightly.
Protests in Egypt since the popular uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak last year have often turned violent, with thugs working for the country’s military leadership frequently blamed.
The electoral commission on April 14 barred 10 candidates, including the Muslim Brotherhood’s Khairat El-Shater and the former president’s intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, from standing in the poll to choose Mubarak’s successor.
Abu Ismail’s nomination was rejected because his mother had taken joint US citizenship, but many of his supporters believe he was the victim of a “plot” by the authorities.
The first round of the presidential election is scheduled for May 23 and 24, and the interim military leadership has promised to hand power to an elected civilian president by the end of June. More…
Anonymous shuts down parties’ sites during Occupy Prague protest
Prague, April 28 (CTK) – Activists of Anonymous have blocked the web pages of Czech parties in parliament in support of the initiative “Together for a Change! We Want a Real Democracy!” that has called a protest action in Prague centre Saturday to which some 100 people came before noon.
The demonstrators gathered in Wecesalas Square. This afternoon they want to build a tented camp at Prague’s Klarov after the model of foreign protests.
“We knew about the attack and we were well prepared for it. We are monitoring the situation,” Alzbeta Plivova, spokeswoman for the government TOP 09 whose web page was not available before noon, told CTK.
The web pages of the senior government Civic Democrats (ODS) and of the opposition Social Democrats (CSSD) and Communists (KSCM) were also out of operation. More…