New Gov. Documents Show President Bush Ignored Numerous Warnings Prior to 9/11 Attack: Should GW Bush be interrogated?
By Michael Allen,opposingviews.com – Two weeks ago at the Republican National Convention, former Bush administration National Security Advisor Condi Rice attacked the Obama administration for not taking action in Syria.
However, Rice did not mention how in 2001 the Bush White House failed to prevent terrorist attacks from Osama bin Laden, despite being warned numerous times.
It has already been made public that Clinton/Bush anti-terrorism advisor Richard Clarke gave the Bush White House a briefing on August 6, 2001 with the now-infamous heading ‘Bin Laden Determined to Strike in the U.S.’
Now, the New York Times reports there were actually a series of warnings between May and August of 2001, which the Bush administration ignored.
On May 1, 2001, the Bush White House was told by the CIA that “a group presently in the United States” was planning a terrorist attack, reports the Daily Mail.
On June 22, 2001, the Bush White House was told an Al Qaeda attack could be “imminent.”
However, the neoconservatives in the Pentagon told the Bush White House that the CIA had been fooled into believing bin Laden was preparing an attack to distract the U.S. from Saddam Hussein.
In response, the CIA prepared a brief on June 29, 2001 with over a page of evidence, including an interview with a journalist, in which aides to Bin Laden warned of an upcoming attack. That paper also said: “The U.S. is not the target of a disinformation campaign by Osama bin Laden.” Read more…