HomeNewsWWH/CJE Wednesday News Briefs – Heart just isn’t into it today… Was that a Drone buzzing my house?

Altering the course of U.S social policy, Maine and Maryland became the first states to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote, while Washington state and Colorado set up a showdown with federal authorities by legalizing recreational use of marijuana.

The outcomes for those ballot measures Tuesday were a milestone for persistent but often thwarted advocacy groups and activists who for decades have pressed the causes of gay rights and drug decriminalization.

“Today the state of Washington looked at 70 years of marijuana prohibition and said it’s time for a new approach,” said Alison Holcomb, manager of the campaign that won passage of Initiative 502 in Washington.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed legalization, was less enthused. “Federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don’t break out the Cheetos or gold fish too quickly,” he said. More…

Shopping centre collapses in Ghana capital

(Reuters) – A multi-storey shopping center in Ghana’s capital Accra collapsed on Wednesday, trapping dozens of people, emergency officials and witnesses said.

Rescue workers were pulling people from the rubble. A Reuters witness saw two injured and one dead.

The building housing the Melcom department store collapsed in the suburb of Achimota less than an hour after it opened with dozens inside. More…

Watercooler Stories
Police chief charged with evidence theft … Ankle monitor leads to burglary arrest … Police refuse to respond to burglar alarm … Small plane clips SUV
Police chief charged with evidence theft

ST. LOUIS, Nov. 6 (UPI) — The memory and usage record of a stolen iPad led to the arrest of the police chief of a small force in rural Missouri.

An iPad and iPod were seized as evidence by New Athens police in July after a commercial burglary. The devices were locked into the force’s evidence room but vanished after Sept. 19, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

The devices were then found back in the evidence room about a month later.

Capt. Steve Johnson of the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department said the iPad’s memory and tracking history showed it had been used by New Athens Police Chief Dallas Hill.

The 27-year-old chief turned himself in Monday to respond to the felony charges of two counts of official misconduct and one count of theft. He posted $2,000 bond.

Johnson said it was a blemish on policing.

“This is not just a procedural error,” Johnson said. “Every time a police officer is charged with a crime, it makes all of our jobs just that much more difficult.”

Ankle monitor leads to burglary arrest

TUFTONBORO, N.H., Nov. 6 (UPI) — A Wolfeboro, N.H., woman was arrested for crimes that allegedly occurred while she was wearing a monitoring device installed after previous alleged crimes.

Carrie Bunnell, 28, was arrested on charges of theft of jewelry and tools after she was tracked to the scene of a burglary through a GPS monitoring device on her ankle, court documents and a report by Tuftonboro, N. H., Police Sgt. James Hathcock said.

The tracking device was attached after Bunnell was charged with a Tuftonboro theft in April and stealing more than $25,000 in jewelry from a Wolfeboro employer in May, and given a pretrial release, The (Manchester) New Hampshire Union Leader reported Tuesday.

Bunnell was rearrested Oct. 5 and is being held on $100,000 bail in the Carroll County, N.H., Jail, the newspaper said.

Police refuse to respond to burglar alarm

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 6 (UPI) — A Texas man said police refused to respond to his report of a burglar alarm going off at his business because he had not paid a $50 annual fee.

Leroy Reber said he received a text message around 4 a.m. from the burglar alarm at his Fort Worth business, DFW Wholesale Security, and he got on his computer and viewed a live video feed of a burglar attempting to break into the store before repeatedly backing his van into the corner of the building, the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram reported Tuesday.

However, Reber said the 911 dispatcher refused to send police to the scene because he has not paid his $50 annual alarm permit fee.

“The dispatcher said, ‘No, we can’t send. We can’t dispatch to that,'” Reber said. “I told them someone was there at that moment committing a crime and they still said ‘no.'”

“I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t respond when I knew there was a burglar at my business at that moment,” he said.

Police officials said the “no permit, no response” policy was a result of officers responding to more than 65,000 false alarms per year prior to the policy being put in place in 2003.

Fort Worth police said they are investigating the incident.

Reber said the burglar did not make it into the building, but $10,000 worth of damage was sustained by the structure.

Small plane clips SUV More…


WWH/CJE Wednesday News Briefs – Heart just isn’t into it today… Was that a Drone buzzing my house? — No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *